If you’re a homeowner or a roofing contractor considering a steel roof, you should know that it’s a smart move to make.
Whether you’re replacing an existing roof, covering an old worn shingle roof, or putting a roof on a new build, getting it right the first time is important.
Steel roofs have grown in popularity over recent years and not without good reason. They’re attractive, strong, and eco-friendly.
We’ve put together 10 advantages of choosing a metal roof for your property. Read on to find out more.
10 Advantages of a Steel Roof?
- Safe – A metal roof is resistant to fire. It also insulates against sparks which prevent a fire from spreading to your home. Moreover, steel is classified as a non-combustible with the highest possible rating.
- Saves money – By lowering your heating and cooling costs, a steel roof not only saves you money but is good for the environment too. It has higher reflective properties than other roofing materials, making it energy efficient. In the winter steel acts as an insulator, reflecting and circulating heat from the underside of the roof and bringing it back inside. In the summer it deflects the heat and prevents it from being absorbed.
- Environmentally friendly – When a steel roof finally needs replacing, it’s 100% recyclable and often already contains recycled materials – unlike other roofing materials such as asphalt which often ends up in landfills. Also because it is lightweight it can be placed over an existing roof, preventing even further waste being added to a landfill.
- Long-lasting – Whereas a traditional roof will only last around 17 years, a steel roof has the potential to last for 50 years or more.
- Low maintenance – Even in Australia’s harsh climate, a steel roof will not warp, crack, or shrink. Its durability means less hassle and lower maintenance costs over its lifetime.
- Versatile – Steel is easily customised with plenty of styles to choose from. In fact, it can be made to look like practically any other type of roof including tile, wood, and shingle.
- Lightweight – Steel is also one of the lightest roof materials available. This means there’s no need to reinforce your property such as you would with products like cement or asphalt.
- Tough – A steel roof is weather-resistant and durable and will perform better than other roofing materials, no matter what the season. Steels roofs can stand up to hurricane winds, snow, hail, sun and rain.
- Resale value – Steel is a popular choice with homebuyers and helps provide better resale value.
- Fast installation – Installation is faster, less disruptive, and cheaper since a steel roof can be placed over an existing roof. Furthermore, you won’t have to pay to dispose of your old roofing materials
If you’d like to know more about steel roofing and discuss your best options then why not come and talk to the experts at Metro Steel. We can supply steel panels for new roofs and steel plates for any roof repairs. Call into our fab shop or give us a call on (07) 3204 1000.