08 Nov 0
Can’t decide whether to invest in a metal roof?
Whether you’re a homeowner or a roofing contractor considering the right type of roof, making the right decision can save you time and money.
Whether you’re replacing an existing roof, putting a roof on a new-build, or covering an old worn shingle roof, getting it right the first time is important.
Metal roofs have become popular over recent years and for good reason. They’re energy-efficient, long-lasting, need little maintenance, and they look great too.
We’ve put together some of the reasons that metal might be the best choice for your roof. Read on to find out more.
What are the advantages of a metal roof?
- Long-lasting – The majority of modern metal roofing materials will last between 40 and 60 years in a normal environment. In many cases, a metal roof may outlast you.
- Durable – When installed properly a metal roof can withstand high winds, torrential rain, strong hail, heavy snow loads, and scorching sun – in fact, all of the extremities that the Australian climate is renowned for.
- Non-corrosive – Most metals are able to withstand corrosion because they’re coated with aluminium or zinc, or galvanised.
- Fireproof and termite resistant – Unlike timber, metal has fire retardant properties which prevent it from being damaged by a stray firework or catching fire in a blaze. Furthermore, metal stops termites in their track, preventing the devastating destruction they can cause timber.
- Cost-effective – Since a single sheet of metal can be used to span a wide area, metal is a cheaper option than tiles. There’s no need to paint a metal roof and with minimal maintenance, your roof will look pristine and be hassle-free for many years to come.
- Appearance – Tiled roofs all look very similar whereas metal roofs come in a variety of colours and styles to stand them out from your neighbours. You can also embrace your creative side with a choice of ribbed or corrugated styles. Furthermore, powder coating enables the colours to stay looking vibrant without cracking, flaking, or fading for many years. Such a stunning roof can only add value to your home.
- Energy-efficient – When properly insulated, metal roofs can keep you cool in the hot summer months and warm and snug in the cold months. If you reside in a particularly hot state, then we’d advise choosing a light colour for your roof since this doesn’t absorb as much heat as a dark colour.
- Environmentally friendly – Finally, metal is recyclable and often metal used for roofing has been made up of recycled materials in the first instance.
If you’d like to know more about metal roofing and discuss your best options then why not come and talk to the experts at Metro Steel. We can supply steel for new roofs and steel plates for any roof repairs. Call into our fab shop or give us a call on (07) 3204 1000.