A staircase is without doubt an important part of any building, whether it be commercial or residential. Because it’s used several times during the day and on a daily basis, it’s important that it looks its best and remains in a good condition.
While it can be fun choosing the design of your staircase, it’s important to give careful consideration to the material used to construct it. Not only does it need to be durable and cost effective, but it also needs to be pleasing on the eye. One such material is structural steel which ticks all of the boxes. So let’s dive into the benefits to be had from choosing steel for your new staircase.
1. Sturdiness – Steel is an alloy composed of iron and many other materials including carbon. One of the prime reasons for using steel is its immense strength and the fact that it can support excessive weight and withstand natural calamities without crumbling. In fact, structural steel is almost 5 times stronger than timber and concrete staircases.
2. Durability – Structural steel also offers the benefit of lasting for very many years. It won’t rot, corrode, or expand over the years and unlike timber it’s not affected by pests and termites. Requiring very little maintenance and care, structural steel is a material you can rely on.
3. Modern look – Modern day architects have tended to lean towards sleek, minimalist lines in their buildings with the result that steel staircases fit perfectly into these designs. It looks fantastic with glass, but works equally as well in conjunction with timber and concrete, adding to its versatility as a building material.
4. Cost effective – For a material that has become so popular across the board, steel is relatively cheap. When you consider how long it lasts for, its aesthetic appeal, sturdiness, and versatility, it offers great value for money.
5. Environmental alternative – Widespread felling of trees has led to the demise of our natural environment and is one of the main contributors to global warming. A large wooden staircase requires a huge amount of timber which can only be gained from chopping down trees. It’s not often possible to recycle wooden staircases whereas steel is one of the most recycled materials in the world.
Steel staircases look great, last longer, and provide greater protection than wooden or concrete alternatives. If you’re considering a steel staircase, we can advise and design. In fact, if you can imagine it, then chances are we can fabricate it.
Why not get in touch with the expert team at Metro Steel by calling us on 07 3204 1000 or drop in and see us at our purpose built facility in Kabi-Circuit, Deception Bay. We look forward to working with you.