Timber has been a popular fencing choice because historically timber has always been in abundant supply and was a lightweight and economical choice. However, despite its popularity, it begs the question whether in this day and age it’s such a good choice, given the level of maintenance and frequent repairs that are required.
That said there has to be some reasons why people keep coming back for timber fencing
- Easy to install as a DIY project or by a professional
- Timeless style
- Easy to repair broken or damaged sections
- Height easily adjusted and additions attached
- Easily painted or stained a different colour to give a new look
- Inexpensive depending on choice of wood with something to fit all budgets
On the downside timber fences are not as durable as perhaps they once were, regular sealing and varnishing is necessary to stave off the effects of bad weather, and finally timber can rot due to weather and pests. Timber fences are vulnerable to termite infestation especially if the posts are placed directly into the ground as with many picket fences.
So what’s an alternative?
Many seasoned homeowners are reluctant to invest in a timber fence because of the ongoing maintenance that’s required. The good news is that there is an alternative which is both practical and attractive and that’s steel fencing. Steel is one of the strongest and most durable materials on the market and won’t rot, warp, or sag as timber is likely to do.
Further benefits of steel fencing include:
- Improved security since timber fences can be scaled or broken
- No maintenance – steel that has been treated won’t rust in inclement weather
- Won’t be invaded by insects
- Can withstand all types of weather, even extremes
- Is a low cost and lightweight option for residential and commercial use
- Can be kept plain and simple or as ornate as you like
Steel fencing can be maintained with little more than the occasional hose down with cold water and, in the event that you have electronic gates, then steel is a far sturdier option than timber fencing could ever be.
Here at Metro Steel our customers often say that we can do anything with steel. Perhaps that’s stretching the truth a little, but we normally if a client can picture a design in their mind, then we can make it. If you’re interested in learning more about steel fencing or have another project in mind, then we can help. Give us a call on 07 3204 1000 to see what we can do for you or drop in for a chat. We look forward to seeing you.